When can you enjoy the audacity of an orange gemstone? When your jewelry features a brilliant orange-red Spessartite.
It’s one of the things every woman wants from her personal jeweler: a gorgeous colored gemstone fashioned into a one-of-a-kind piece of fine jewelry. Every shade is in demand, especially the Spessartite garnet.
Why? Spessartite garnets are definitely one of the trendiest gemstones available today. First found in the forests of Spessart, Bavaria in the 1800’s, this stone with a natural orange color gets its luscious hue from mineral deposits like iron and manganese.
Spessartite makes its jewelry début in designs by Dior and Bulgari in the 1990’s, after the discovery of clear gem-quality stones found in an African cache. The most desirable Spessartite is the striking orange-red garnets from Namibia.
Spessartite garnets are semi-precious gemstones often confused with Andalusite, Chrysoberyl, Fire Opal, Sphene and Topaz. They have a high refractive index, which gives them a beautiful brilliance. A rank of 7 to 7.5 on the Mohs hardness scale makes them a great choice for daily wear jewelry. When buying colored gemstones like Spessartite, select based on their size, not carat. The gems vary in their size-to-weight ratio. Our very own GIA-certified jewelry designer, Shaun Goodyear, will help you select a quality Spessartite garnet for your next custom designed piece of jewelry.
Brilliant Orange-Red Showstoppers
Spessartite garnets glow with the colors of a sunset. A Spessartite garnet makes a fabulous statement in a ring all on its own. It will also stand out among a group of colored stones in a bracelet or necklace. White or yellow gold precious metal settings compliment the Spessartite fire. They are often cut with extra faceting techniques to bring out their brilliance, like oval, cushion, trillion and emerald.
Good-to-Know Stuff About Garnets
- Most garnets (except the color-change garnet) lack the optical phenomenon of pleochroism (the stone appears to change color depending on how light strikes it).
- Garnets are never boring. Do you know the garnet family enjoys a colorful palette of deep red, brown, black, green, yellow and orange? Select from the dark red color of Almandine garnets, the green of Andradite or the fiery orange-red of Spessartite. That changing-color garnet everyone desires? That’s the rare gemstone Alexandrite.
- Garnets may be given as a gift for a couple’s second wedding anniversary.
- Unique mythology surrounds garnets like Spessartite. They are believed to be the “traveler’s stone” because they can help folks find their way. Legend has it Noah uses a garnet lantern to guide his nighttime travels on the Ark.
- According to the Hindu belief system (and anyone who practices yoga), the garnet is associated with the root chakra, which controls feelings of security and stability.
- Mystics say garnets promote successful business ventures, encourage compassion toward others and aid in building one’s self-confidence. They also provide you with analytical and creative abilities, the strength of heart and an eagerness to help others.
- Spessartite garnets have a high range of magnetic susceptibility (S1). Because they possess traces of iron and manganese, a neodymium magnet is used to identify Spessartite gemstones.
Indy Facets – Everyone’s Private Jeweler
Indy Facets seamlessly blends the expertise and full service of a traditional jewelry store with the value and convenience of a personal jeweler experience. We give you the face-to-face interaction with an expert that you deserve, in a private setting where you can relax and feel comfortable. Owner/Designer Shaun Goodyear and his team have earned an excellent reputation as everyone’s private jeweler for engagement rings, custom design, investment grade diamonds, luxury Swiss timepieces, estate jewelry, jewelry repair and the highest level of customer service, available to you from an onsite, state-of-the-art Custom Design Studio and Gemological Laboratory by private appointment only. You are guaranteed a unique, fun and exciting experience without the hype, pressure, judgment or uncertainty associated with other jewelry shopping options. We schedule appointments at your convenience and are usually available evenings and weekends, too. Call 317-810-1665 for your private appointment or schedule online, IndyFacets.com/schedule/.