Thoughts on caring for your precious jewelry collection.
People who love jewelry want to wear it everywhere. Certainly, it’s appropriate to wear your diamond engagement ring and wedding band on special occasions and events -most of the time, after all- since some of your most treasured pieces become a part of you. If you treat it with care, store it properly and keep in clean, you’re golden. Or are you?
Where NOT to Wear Your Best Jewelry
Use common sense when deciding whether to wear your jewelry. Going to the gym or out to play sports? Probably a no-no. Even the chlorine in a swimming pool can cause permanent damage to gold. So, it’s also a good idea to take jewelry off when cleaning with household chemicals, especially chlorine bleach. Wearing your rings while gardening? Even if you wear gardening gloves, dirt can get ground into intricate jewel work. Likewise, wearing lots of chains or dangling earrings while working with young children can tempt them to pull or yank at it.
Clean Jewelry is Happy
Keeping your jewelry clean gives you a chance to examine it for loose stones, broken prongs, cracks and other conditions that may require expert care. Otherwise, you can keep your jewelry clean with home care. In addition,
- Spray perfume or hairspray before you put your jewelry on.
- Lotion or sunscreen will dull the shine of a ring’s gemstones and metal, making it more difficult to clean later. Apply both products and let them dry before putting on your rings.
- Have pieces that you wear often professionally cleaned and inspected every six months, to prevent major repairs.
- Make it a habit to have all your fine jewelry cleaned and inspected every year.
Caring for Your Diamonds
Diamonds are remarkably durable and maintain their brilliance over time. They cannot be scratched, except by another diamond. They can, however, get chipped and become loose or lost in a weakened setting.
- Store diamonds in padded boxes or soft bags separate from other jewelry.
- Clean diamond jewelry with a lint-free cloth or with a soft toothbrush, using a solution of warm water and mild soap or a commercial cleaning solution.
- To maintain its beauty and integrity, have your diamond jewelry professionally cleaned and inspected.
Pearls Need to Breathe
Pearls are delicate jewels of the sea and need to breathe. Pearls also scratch easily; do not allow other jewelry to rub up against them. Store pearls wrapped in a cloth or a chamois bag; never keep them in plastic. Keep hairspray and perfume away from pearls. After wearing pearls, wipe them with a soft, clean cloth to remove makeup, dust and dirt. When pearls slide between knots on the strand, it is time for a restringing. If you wear pearls regularly, restring them once a year. Be sure your jeweler cleans your pearls when they are being restrung.
Do-It-Yourself Jewelry Cleaning
If your jewelry needs light cleaning to restore sparkle or shine, you can clean it at home. Here’s what you’ll do:
- Mix a solution of equal parts water and mild, liquid dish detergent or a store-bought jewelry cleaner
- Soak jewelry in the cleaning solution, then gently brush each piece with a soft toothbrush, especially around the gemstones.
- Rinse well with clean water and allow the jewelry to dry.
- Or use an ultrasonic jewelry cleaning machine, which uses use vibrations to remove dirt from your jewelry.
Safe to clean this way:
- Diamond Garnet
- Lapis Lazuli
Do not clean pearls, coral, emeralds or tanzanite this way.
Bring Your Jewelry to Indy Facets fr Cleaning
Indy Facets will clean, inspect, repair and restore your jewelry to its original beauty. With our onsite, state-of-the-art Custom Design Studio and Gemological Laboratory, your jewelry is always in good hands. Owner/Designer Shaun Goodyear is a GIA Gemologist who loves to take his years of expertise, experience and relationships in the jewelry industry and use them to keep your precious jewelry and heirlooms looking as magnificent as possible.
Indy Facets – Everyone’s Private Jeweler
Indy Facets seamlessly blends the expertise and full service of a traditional jewelry store with the value and convenience of a personal jeweler experience. We give you the face-to-face interaction with an expert that you deserve, in a private setting where you can relax and feel comfortable, by private appointment only. Indy Facets has earned an excellent reputation as Indiana’s private jeweler for engagement rings, custom design, investment grade diamonds, luxury Swiss timepieces, estate jewelry, jewelry repair and the highest level of customer service. We schedule appointments at your convenience, and are usually available evenings and weekends, too. Call (317) 296-6273 or schedule online, www.indyfacets.com/schedule.