For millennials, jewelry is a way to show total freedom of individual expression.
Millennials love jewelry -although they probably don’t love the same kind of jewelry as their parents and grandparents. That classic string of pearls? Today’s 30-year-old is most likely re-imaging it into a piece that speaks to her personal preferences.
Millennial buyers tend to view jewelry as an opportunity for personal expression, rather than a way to conform to society’s expectations. This is most obvious in the widespread popularity of body piercings: plug and gauge ear piercings, lip and tongue studs, nose piercings, non-facial piercings like wrist piercings – and far too many others to list.
Why are Jewelry Tastes Shifting?
Experts say it’s primarily due to new global and technological forces. As people grow up, a wide range of influences shape their worldview and buying behavior. Millennials -defined as people born between the years 1981 and 1996- are no different, yet some of the influences are:
- Age of the internet: Most millennials have always had access to internet-powered technology and don’t remember the adult world without mobile phones.
- Economic and social forces: From the 1990s to the 2000s, they saw a period of economic instability, including Wall Street scandals, the 2000 dot-com bust, the 2007-2012 housing bubble and a recession. The September 11 terrorist attack in 2001 is for millennials what the assassination of JFK is for baby boomers – a horrific tragedy that brings a nation together; the first through television broadcasts, the latter through a wide range of media.
- Debt: Millennials have the largest percentage of debt of any group in history, primarily as student loan and credit card debt. This impacts their buying power for things like weddings, home-buying and high-end jewelry.
- Cause awareness: Global cultural awareness has sparked millennial passion for ethical and philanthropic causes. Today, 73% of millennials are willing to spend more money on products to ensure they buy from companies that meet their ethical standards.
- Social media: Channels like Instagram have reshaped how people discover and share information about jewelry, hairstyles, fashion and body products. Millennial buyers often think of their favorite things in terms of social media: likes, retweets, pins, followers.
- Personal convenience: Shopping has become a personalized experience that happens in the palm of your hand. Speed, self-checkout and payment flexibility are all important factors to millennials.
- Street fashion: Trends are no longer set seasonally by a handful of elite fashion houses. Millennial fashion is an ever-changing mishmash of worldwide street trends.
All of the factors above combine to make millennials one the most diverse and hard-to-pin down generations in history. As they make buying decisions, they constantly balance serious economic considerations with the fun and freedom of personal expression.
Jewelry to Crush On
In terms of jewelry, millennials don’t want to feel bound by the expectations of the past. They’re excited by new metals, far beyond traditional gold. Colorful, ethically-sourced gemstones are in high demand. Natural and organic shapes appeal to some millennials; sassy bling appeals to others.
One thing is for sure: Millennials have a distaste for big-box buying. They prefer stores that offer individualized experiences and personal service. That’s why a private jeweler like Indy Facets is right on-trend for the world’s newest jewelry generation.
Indy Facets – Everyone’s Private Jeweler
Indy Facets seamlessly blends the expertise and full service of a traditional jewelry store with the value and convenience of a personal jeweler experience. We give you the face-to-face interaction with an expert that you deserve, in a private setting where you can relax and feel comfortable. Owner/Designer Shaun Goodyear and his team have earned an excellent reputation as everyone’s private jeweler for engagement rings, custom design, investment grade diamonds, luxury Swiss timepieces, estate jewelry, jewelry repair and the highest level of customer service, available to you from an onsite, state-of-the-art Custom Design Studio and Gemological Laboratory by private appointment only. You are guaranteed a unique, fun and exciting experience without the hype, pressure, judgment or uncertainty associated with other jewelry shopping options. We schedule appointments at your convenience and are usually available evenings and weekends, too. Call 317-810-1665 for your private appointment or schedule online, IndyFacets.com/schedule/.