Not many people realize the whirlwind of emotions a person goes through while choosing the perfect engagement ring.
First, there’s love. Then, there’s the anxiety of asking for her hand in marriage; but after you show respect for her family, you’ll likely to find even more love. There may be fear of the unknown. Just what have you gotten yourself into? Jewelry stores? Gemstones? Ring sets? Private jewelers? OMG
Suddenly, you’re extremely interested anytime your lady talks about jewelry. Then you’re talking intently to other guys who’ve been there for recommendations; and after you do that, you’re timidly asking her friends or her family for their opinion. There may be apprehension. Should we shop for rings together or make it a surprise? Clueless!
In the end, it’s all about her. Her preferences. Her tastes. And you love her, right? As they say, “It may be your wallet but it’s her ring.” Now’s the time to learn what is expected of you. Relax. These tips will guide your way.
- The Budget is Yours – The good news is, when you go to buy an engagement ring, you are in charge. This may be your moment (plural), but it’s your money, so don’t be afraid to tell the jeweler your limit and remain firm. Studies indicate Americans are spending an average of $5,871 on a ring. If you find a ring you love, is perfect for your partner and less that what you planned on spending, great! Money in the bank, or to buy a wedding band to go with it. Just a thought.
- Embrace The Four C’s – Diamonds -like expensive cars- are not all the same, despite their universal sparkle. Each is graded on the four C’s -cut, carat, color and clarity- that help you understand its quality and determine its price. If you buy a diamond without knowing what makes it valuable, it’s like buying that car without looking under the hood. You could have a bit of bling that’s a bomb. This is when you work with a jeweler you trust (more on this later).
- All Gemstones Sparkle – Diamonds may be the most popular stones for engagement rings, but sapphires, rubies, opals, emeralds, moonstones and pearls also make a unique ring. The key is paying attention to how your lady likes to wear her jewelry. Is she an everyday sort of gal? Some stones are not as durable as diamonds or sapphires, so take this into consideration.
- Heavy Metal – Same goes for choosing precious metals for an engagement ring: base your choice on everyday wear and durability. Typically, you’ll want either gold or platinum for durability. However, if your lady wears a lot of silver, she may prefer a white gold engagement ring. If she wears yellow gold, then yellow gold is a good bet.
- Ring Size, Authentications, Certifications, Insurance and Returns – See Number 6.
- Custom Ring Design Sounds Complicated & Expensive (But It’s Not) – Although the word “custom” can also mean “expensive,” when you choose custom engagement ring design from a private jeweler like Indy Facets, we will work within your budget and remain firm. You make a private appointment with us at your convenience, and we will help you with understanding the Four C’s of diamonds, show you other options for gemstones and precious metals, explain what to do about sizing the ring properly, gemstone authentications and certifications and returns, give you advice about insurance options and we’ll even design matching wedding bands, if this is what you desire. With Indy Facets, you can help create the perfect engagement ring. And what you’ll be feeling is happiness!
Looking for the perfect engagement ring as a holiday gift? Ask us about our Custom Jewelry Gift Experience.
Indy Facets – Everyone’s Private Jeweler
Indy Facets seamlessly blends the expertise and full service of a traditional jewelry store with the value and convenience of a personal jeweler experience. We give you the face-to-face interaction with an expert that you deserve, in a private setting where you can relax and feel comfortable. Owner/Designer Shaun Goodyear and his team have earned an excellent reputation as everyone’s private jeweler for engagement rings, custom design, investment grade diamonds, luxury Swiss timepieces, estate jewelry, jewelry repair and the highest level of customer service, available to you from an onsite, state-of-the-art Custom Design Studio and Gemological Laboratory by private appointment only. You are guaranteed a unique, fun and exciting experience without the hype, pressure, judgment or uncertainty associated with other jewelry shopping options. We schedule appointments at your convenience, and are usually available evenings and weekends, too. Call 317-810-1665 for your private appointment or schedule online, indyfacets.com/schedule.