All the time, all over the world for all different reasons, people celebrate the diamond. This month, it is the diamond that does the celebrating of people … those born in April, that is.
Yes, the diamond is recognized as the birthstone for April. Rather than gush poetically about this magnificent gem (everybody does that), we’re offering this super-bullet-list of diamond trivia:
- Diamonds are the only gem composed of one single element: carbon. The atoms bond the same way in all directions.
- Diamonds are the hardest material on earth and can only be cut with another diamond.
- Ranking 10 on the Mohs Scale of Hardness, diamonds are 58 times harder than anything else in nature.
- Diamonds are known for their sparkle, due to their unique physical properties that produce the best possible luster of any gemstone when expertly cut and polished.
- The most common color of a natural diamond is brown; most are reserved for industrial use.
- The most popular color of a natural diamond is colorless.
- Fancy-color diamonds (yellow, red, pink, blue, green) are very rare, even more valuable, highly desirable and often color-treated in a lab.
Diamond’s Dramatic Past
- Most diamonds available today formed under high temperature and pressure conditions more than a billion years ago, close to the earth’s core, then forced up toward the surface.
- Diamonds are uncovered about 100 miles beneath the earth’s surface.
- Diamonds are admired by man from the first century and traded as early as 4 BC.
- Many ancient civilizations think diamonds are lighting made real on earth.
- Many believe diamonds have healing powers, able to cure brain disease, alleviate pituitary gland disorders and draw toxins from the blood.
- History credits the Moghuls and Imperial Colony of India for making the diamond popular as a gemstone adornment.
The Largest Diamond
- The largest diamond known to man is not of this earth. It is a white dwarf star known as BPM 37093 and V*886 Cen, the 886th variable star in the constellation Centaurus 50 light years from earth.
- This chunk of crystallized carbon weighs five million-trillion-trillion pounds – a 10 billion-trillion-trillion-carat diamond.
- Discovered in 2004, astronomers nickname her Lucy after the Beatles song, “Lucy In the Sky with Diamonds.”
- By universe standards, Lucy is a tiny diamond star with a diameter of only 2,500 miles. Our Sun’s diameter is 870,000 miles.
- The largest earthly diamonds are the 545-caret Golden Jubilee Diamond, part of the crown jewels of Thailand and the 530-carat Great Star of Africa, part of the Crown Jewels of England.
- Diamonds symbolize eternal and lasting love.
- Diamonds are synonymous with wedding engagements.
- Diamonds mark not one by two wedding anniversaries: the sixtieth and the seventy-fifth, in addition to April birthdays.
- Diamonds are equally perfect for everyday wear and special occasion wear.
- The global language of diamond quality is “The 4C’s,” created by the Gemological Institute of America (GIA).
Curious About Choosing the Perfect Diamond?
To help you choose the perfect diamond, Indy Facets is quite fluent in The 4 C’s – color, clarity, carat weight and cut, a diamond’s four main characteristics that set the initial value. Since The 4C’s are very important in narrowing down a selection of diamonds to one that is just right for you, we have a complete state-of-the-art Gemological Laboratory and use all latest, most innovative and technologically advanced software available in jewelry design to truly measure and identify every characteristic of any diamond you are considering.
Because diamond grading often results in inconsistent findings, you need to select each diamond in person, with the help of an experienced GIA Graduate Gemologist, to identify what is beautiful to you. Indy Facets’ Shaun Goodyear may be just the experienced GIA Graduate Gemologist you’re looking for. Schedule your private appointment today.
Indy Facets – Everyone’s Private Jeweler
Indy Facets seamlessly blends the expertise and full service of a traditional jewelry store with the value and convenience of a personal jeweler experience. We give you the face-to-face interaction with an expert that you deserve, in a private setting where you can relax and feel comfortable. Owner/Designer Shaun Goodyear and his team have earned an excellent reputation as everyone’s private jeweler for engagement rings, custom design, investment grade diamonds, luxury Swiss timepieces, estate jewelry, jewelry repair and the highest level of customer service, available to you from an onsite, state-of-the-art Custom Design Studio and Gemological Laboratory by private appointment only. You are guaranteed a unique, fun and exciting experience without the hype, pressure, judgment or uncertainty associated with other jewelry shopping options. We schedule appointments at your convenience, and are usually available evenings and weekends, too. Call (317) 296-6273 for your private appointment or schedule online, indyfacets.com/schedule.