Buying a diamond for the first time is an exciting adventure.
Sometimes though, information overload can stifle your ability to make a decision, or high-pressure sales tactics from certain types of jewelers can lead to making decisions in haste. Before you even stand before a diamond showcase, educate yourself on what to look for when shopping for gemstones, especially diamonds.
Whether purchasing a diamond for any piece of jewelry, be it a one-of-a-kind engagement ring or a re-design of a family heirloom, the goal is the same. You want to buy a quality stone that fits your budget, which will wow your loved one (or yourself). With this in mind, we have some tips to prepare you for your diamond search.
6 Things to Remember When Searching for a Diamond
- Learn the Four Cs – Cut, Color, Clarity and Carat – The quality of a diamond is judged on these four attributes. Each category has a scale on which the diamond gets ranked. If you want to learn more about the four Cs, read our article, Shopping for Diamonds.
- Decide What You Want – Determine the shape, carat weight and color of the diamond you’re looking for. It will influence our next suggestion.
- Create a Budget – Have a set budget in mind before heading out to shop. If you cannot find what you want within your price range, consider adjusting your expectations on the rating of color, clarity and If you want a one-carat diamond, think about shopping for a stone 10% or less in weight. It is close enough in size and can save you money. Discuss the setting or mount with your jeweler – it can enhance the look of any stone with optical illusion. Be willing to get creative to stay on budget.
- Look for a GIA-Certified Jeweler – Established in 1931, the Gemological Institute of America (GIA) is the foremost authority on diamonds, gems and The non-profit organization focuses on the education and standardization of the jewelry and gemstone profession. When shopping, look for a jeweler who is a graduate of the GIA training program (like Indy Facets). We will not only educate you about diamonds, we’ll demonstrate the four Cs of a diamond and assist you in staying within your budget – while getting you the gemstone you totally want.
- Obtain a Diamond Grading Report – This document includes an appraisal of the diamond, a diagram of the clarity characteristics and a graph outlining its proportions. It serves as proof from a jeweler that the quality of the stone is as described.
- Buy Insurance – Protect your investment with an insurance policy to cover any loss or damage to the jewelry. An appraisal of your diamond is needed to get a policy.
Define Your Shopping Experience
Searching for the perfect diamond embodies more than just shopping for a quality stone. It is also about your overall shopping experience. You want to work with a reputable jeweler, who takes the time to explain the complexities of diamonds, gemstones, jewelry-making and custom design so that you can make an informed decision about your diamond selection. Being able to discuss ideas, one-on-one with them, makes you feel a part of the design process. Yes, buying a diamond is about finding the highest quality stone possible for the right price. It is also about working with an experienced jeweler to find the right gemstone and create a unique work of art that stuns the lucky recipient into uttering one word: yes.
Indy Facets – Everyone’s Private Jeweler
Indy Facets seamlessly blends the expertise and full service of a traditional jewelry store with the value and convenience of a personal jeweler experience. We give you the face-to-face interaction with an expert that you deserve, in a private setting where you can relax and feel comfortable. Owner/Designer Shaun Goodyear and his team have earned an excellent reputation as everyone’s private jeweler for engagement rings, custom design, investment grade diamonds, luxury Swiss timepieces, estate jewelry, jewelry repair and the highest level of customer service, available to you from an onsite, state-of-the-art Custom Design Studio and Gemological Laboratory by private appointment only. You are guaranteed a unique, fun and exciting experience without the hype, pressure, judgment or uncertainty associated with other jewelry shopping options. We schedule appointments at your convenience and are usually available evenings and weekends, too. Call 317-810-1665 for your private appointment or schedule online, IndyFacets.com/schedule/.